BM (unfortunate initials) begins by describing briefly his current state in life, namely, that he is 'seeking', that he is on a spiritual quest, and common responses from others who may hear of his or others' such quest. First response: such a quest is a waste of time since 'spiritual' = not real (materialists in the philosophical sense). Second: waste of time since we already have all the answers (I think he has in mind here many Christians who are satisfied with the status quo). Third: those like him who sense there is more to Jesus than what we are given on a Sunday morning or Wednesday night (as evidenced by the misguided interest in the historical debunked The Da Vinci Code, as well similar interests in The Gospel of Judas, or Mary Magdalene or whatever gnostic gospel of choice).
BM thinks he is on the brink of something, of finding a missing puzzle piece that makes the rest of the picture make so much more sense. He is writing this book to communicate where he is on his journey and what he has learned that he thinks is so important to our understanding of Jesus, and, particularly, Jesus' message. He envisions three groups of people in his audience: (1) 'spiritual but not religious'—Jesus is interesting but I'm not interested in Christianity. To them he insists that Jesus has an alternative to what is given in most of established religion. (2) those who have read some of his previous, preliminary and ground-clearing books (like A New Kind of Christian and related books). (3) those who have found his previous writings controversial or erroneous/dangerous.
And then, the concluding introductory paragraph:
If we succeed in grasping even some fragment of Jesus' secret message, if we take it in and manage not only to look at it but also to learn to look though it, our world and our lives will look different to us at the end of our exploration. And if that happens deeply enough for enough of us, everything could change. (emphasis mine)
I should get the book before blabing, but I would like to briefly note my sincere dissapointment in my only other run-in with BM's work--Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel. The title is so darn good and the contents so very not insightful. Megan would like to note that there are a couple of chapters that weren't that bad. I can go along with that. Also, since I am naturally and deliberately optimistic, I'm going to go ahead and put that one behind me and dive into the current selection. Three cheers for the Erics (S and B) and thanks for the ivite. Very glad to be here.
ReplyDeleteJDR
I felt similarly about "A New Kind of Christian", and I likewise am optimistic.
ReplyDeleteand good looking.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I have th book and have started reading. Eric's synopsis of the 1st chapter is good, though I noticed very diferent parts. Really, I noticed the parts that say something I've tried to say, but not managed to actually get out in any real coherant sense. I am one of BM's "unsatisfied people" (xv). It comes in waves like a good movie (I call it plusses and minuses... the ups and downs that create tension in film and cause both doubt and hope simultaneously, that the end goal will be achieved).
ReplyDeleteI love Brian's word picture, "[we] feel that there's a missing puzzle piece without which the big picture won't snap into place. There's a hidden door somewhere behind a curtain or bookcase, and through that door there are rooms we've never imagined."
In college it was children's books: Lewis's Narnia series, that the HS used to revise my heart and mind toward such a place that BM's first three paragraphs of chapter 1 could ring true without causing a bout of mild depression.
I mean, I think that's when I became aware of troubling questions about Jesus that only brought trouble to certain evangelical and charismatic traditions which I already hated. Traditions (attitudes and beliefs) that made my soul heavy and my heart discouraged.
It is in this context that "troubling questions about Jesus" began to form the outline of a secret door into rooms never imagined.